Opinion Hard drive/SSD for games

• Wondering what earned you credits on the forums? The full list has now been added here
  • Remember to read the F.A.Q. before posting in the Support section/Portal!

LtGeneralStore

Well-Known User
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2015
Pennsylvania, USA
YouTube Channel ID
YouTube Channel
Twitter
LtGeneralStore
Hello everyone!

I currently have a 1TB for my PC, that includes games, programs, and OS. I was to get a storage drive for just my games. What kinds of drives do people suggest? Hard drive or SSD? What size? What brand? All suggestions are appreciated!

Jonathan

"You don't know me...but you will"
Retired Moderator
Beta
Wiki Contributor
Freedom! Member
Event Winner 2017
Feb 1, 2016
UK
jonathan.carter.games
YouTube Channel ID
YouTube Channel
Honestly for games, unless you have money to burn, keep with HDD, yea an SSD will speed up game loads, that's about all it will do to improve your performance. I'd suggest Western Digital for HDD's (any colour (type), normally blue or black (but I honest use green and it works fine). From experience there drives last a long with and are well made. If you have the OS & games on the same drive, I'd get a 240GB SSD or something for the OS, it will make your PC so much quicker on day to day functions and is a better idea than using it for games storage at the moment. in a few years it may be different, but for now the prices & reliability issues are a bit much to make it worth your while.​

LW001

Administrator
Administrator
Beta
Wiki Contributor
Freedom! Member
Apr 2, 2016
Vienna, Austria
twitter.com
YouTube Channel ID
YouTube Channel
Twitter
lw_002
If you need something to have your OS run off of smooth and some money to use, get an SSD. I personally have just gotten a PC with an SSD and oh hell it runs faster than before. If you just want to store data at normal speeds, get a HDD, they have more space for less money.