YouTube How long does it take you to edit?

• Wondering what earned you credits on the forums? The full list has now been added here
  • Remember to read the F.A.Q. before posting in the Support section/Portal!

Klahn's Clinic

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Nov 19, 2018
YouTube Channel ID
YouTube Channel
I don't know how some people are able research, edit, and upload videos daily. For me it takes (on average) an hour to just edit a minute of video! Never mind all the research, script writing, recording, and picture finding prior to all that. I know it's different for other channel types, so, I was wondering, how long does it take you guys (or gals) to edit something?

Indurok

Dragon
Freedom! Member
Jul 8, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
YouTube Channel ID
YouTube Channel
Twitter
Indurok
I don't know how some people are able research, edit, and upload videos daily. For me it takes (on average) an hour to just edit a minute of video! Never mind all the research, script writing, recording, and picture finding prior to all that. I know it's different for other channel types, so, I was wondering, how long does it take you guys (or gals) to edit something?
It depends on how long the video is, and what kind of video you are making. I used to have another channel where I did video game reviews. But I eventually decided to quit because the editing process was too long for me, and I still edited and uploaded two videos a day on my regular channel. But I also kinda lost my motivation to continue making those videos, especially after YouTube changed their monetization policy in early 2018. I don't think deleting that channel was a huge loss, since I didn't really gain much of an audience after twenty-something videos.

But editing my let's play videos doesn't take even half the amount of time. Like, half an hour max, especially after I started doing the thing where I change the speed at which it plays. However, some videos, which I only upload to YouTube because it doesn't run well when I livestream, I have not been editing. Instead, I just let it play, and I keep clicking a minute or so ahead in the timeline, mainly to get an idea of what to title the video, and then I add my outro.

finegamingconnoisseur

Rising User
Freedom! Member
May 18, 2017
YouTube Channel ID
YouTube Channel
I usually take upwards of 12 hours spread out throughout the week (due to busy work/family life schedule) and have 14 steps that I follow in creating my videos from start to finish.
  1. Watch recorded video to take notes for editing later;
  2. Come up with title, description, time markers and tags;
  3. Select music tracks from Epidemic Sound (this step takes the longest, I hand-pick all soundtracks after browsing through and listening to dozens of tracks to see what fits the mood and theme of the video);
  4. Reduce background noise in my voice recording through Audacity;
  5. Put all elements of the final video together;
  6. Add time to the markers;
  7. Preview the final video to look for mistakes or missed areas that need changing;
  8. Process the video;
  9. Upload to YouTube;
  10. Create video thumbnail;
  11. Add title, description, time markers, thumbnail and tags to the video;
  12. Place the video into its proper playlist and schedule when the video will go publicly viewable;
  13. Check once more that everything is in place as they should be;
  14. Click Save Changes.

Last edited:

Realnews

Feb 25, 2019
I think the more practice you do working with editing software, the quicker you post your videos over time.