Complaints Regarding Feedback

• Wondering what earned you credits on the forums? The full list has now been added here
  • Remember to read the F.A.Q. before posting in the Support section/Portal!

IndieBin

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Sep 29, 2015
YouTube Channel ID
YouTube Channel
Hi guys.

So, as a small content creator, I get a lot of comments on my channel that are mostly spam. 'Sub 4 sub' or 'Check out my channel to get a shout-out'! It's the curse of us smaller channels to have to deal with this. And, to those of you offering shout-outs via comment sections, could you please stop?

Shout-outs are fine; I understand you want to help smaller channels grow while hosting their content, but many seem to offer shout-outs only in exchange for a favour. You're not shouting-out their content because it's good, fun or enjoyable. You're doing so because of a favour. It's dishonest and doesn't help anybody.

So leaving comments on videos is good. But, as viewers, it is our duty to help those we watch grow and improve. I know we're all small channels, afraid of critique with a dire need for positive reinforcement...but that doesn't help us improve.

If you believe somebody's audio quality poor, their words are jumbled or their game quality is lacking, let them know. Let them know CONSTRUCTIVELY. Which means not being mean about it.

"Your video quality sucks!" <- Not constructive.

"Your video quality is a bit lacking. Perhaps try increasing the graphical settings, capturing with a less intensive capture program or try different games that aren't as heavy on your set-up!" <-Constructive.

If you thought the video was great, like it! Tell the creator what was great and why it was great. It helps them grow and improve. No one starts off as a PewDiePie or a JonTron or a DidYouKnowGaming. We could all improve and benefit from friendly, well-placed critique of our style and delivery, which will help us become better at what we do.

And as content creators, it is our duty to be humble and open to critique. You're putting your content into the public domain. Expect trolls, expect mean comments, expect disheartening messages. But ignore/block them and move on. Don't dwell on it. But if someone constructively tells you how you can improve, thank them! Don't block or verbally attack them and, if you believe their ideas are ill-founded, reply to them about it.

Hope this helps, guys. Let's improve together!

TL;DR - Don't be a meanie on the interwebz :)

TotalGamerHolic

Nov 4, 2014
US, Ohio
YouTube Channel ID
YouTube Channel
Well said man, all of it. I agree on the whole sub 4 sub thing, it's totally useless and I completely ignore anyone who tries asking me to sub 4 sub. As for your last bit about trolls and assholes posting negative crap on your videos. That's what people are just gonna have to deal with if they ever get big on YouTube. Every once in a while I'll get some troll comment on some video of mine, from someone who pretty much just wants to bring others down. I've gotten a number of comments along the lines of "god shut the f*&# up and just play the game loser" over the years. Best way I can think of to handle those kinds of people is - see it as you're becoming more noticed... and find motivation from those people who come on and post hate on your videos, just keep on making more videos and give it your best :)

Reactions: IndieBin

IndieBin

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Sep 29, 2015
YouTube Channel ID
YouTube Channel
Well said man, all of it. I agree on the whole sub 4 sub thing, it's totally useless and I completely ignore anyone who tries asking me to sub 4 sub. As for your last bit about trolls and assholes posting negative crap on your videos. That's what people are just gonna have to deal with if they ever get big on YouTube. Every once in a while I'll get some troll comment on some video of mine, from someone who pretty much just wants to bring others down. I've gotten a number of comments along the lines of "god shut the f*&# up and just play the game loser" over the years. Best way I can think of to handle those kinds of people is - see it as you're becoming more noticed... and find motivation from those people who come on and post hate on your videos, just keep on making more videos and give it your best :)

Thanks for the feedback, man!

The problem is also that, as humans, we absorb negativity a lot better than positivity. It only takes one guy to go 'you suck, kill yourself' amidst a sea of praise to get you down. We need to learn to accept the good, since we seem to be de-sensitized to it. Perhaps we hear it so much on our videos that the one or two troll comments cut that little bit deeper.

But again, very good advice!

Nolan Westmore

I take up space
Freedom! Member
Jul 29, 2014
Canada
Twitter
Actxr
The only way to give appropriate feedback is to give feedback that is detailed in nature, meant to give the person you're reviewing a real idea of what your thought train on the specific topic is.

Bad example: "Your audio is bad".
Good example: "It would appear that there is an issue with the quality of your audio, would you mind looking at _______'s tutorial on using Audacity to better clean up the audio in your videos."

Bad example: "Your framerate is all over the place".
Good example: "Is there something restricting you from uploading or recording a higher quality? I find your framerate to be a bit choppy. I would recommend playing games that aren't so hard on your hardware, it would better the quality of your videos drastically."

Something that covers more than one sentence for the topic is the best kind of feedback on a topic. I could write an entire essay for every channel's flaws if I wanted to, including my own.

McKeviin

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Sep 29, 2014
YouTube Channel ID
YouTube Channel
I did sub4sub in the beginning. A looong time ago. but i stopped because i wanted "real" subs. I dont want people to sub just to get me to sub to them.

IndieBin

Rising User
Freedom! Member
Sep 29, 2015
YouTube Channel ID
YouTube Channel
I did sub4sub in the beginning. A looong time ago. but i stopped because i wanted "real" subs. I dont want people to sub just to get me to sub to them.

Exactly! You want people to sub because they WANT to sub to your content.

I never really play 'sub for sub' channels, especially low level ones. Everyone's desperate to get noticed, everyone's desperate for exposure. So sub for sub is just how the little guys start up!

Glad to see you're channel has grown past that, dude. Good work!